Forum Navigation

Search

Old 12-03-2003, 12:48 PM

Grand Bahama DIY Bonefishing

I'm going there over Xmas break and fishing w/ Phil and Mel's Bone Guide service for 2 days. Any feedback on them would be appreciated. Hopefully north winds won't hamper fishing, but I am told there are lagoons where they are on the east side that are well protected. Any DIY recommendations would be welcomed as well. Thx
Old 12-15-2003, 07:31 PM

I have fished with Phil many times. He is something of an enteprenaur (sp). He lives on the far eastern end of Grand Bahama which is about an hours drive from Freeport or Port Lucaya. He buys boats and hires guides often from Deep Water Cay, so most likely he won't be guiding.

There is a bar restaurant near the launching ramp that will make you a sandwich and somthing to drink. There is no option of purchasing gear, flies, or much of anything else, so have everything you will need with you.

Capt. Phil will pick you up around 7 and drive you back starting at 4. From 8 til 4 you will mostly be fishing. There are many protected sites within a 10 minute run, so you are not spending a lot time boating around. Almost all of the fishing is from the bow. If you can hit a rising tide and you prefer wading in the mid afternoon, ask the guide to take you to Sweetings Cay where there is a wadeable flat.

Say hello to Phil from Jeff.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:25 PM

Thx Jeff. How was the fishing and what time of year did you go? Have you tried anywhere else on freeport on your own?
Old 12-16-2003, 03:30 PM

Mark,

I have fished there in the winter and you should be ok. It slows down in the summer when the flats get real warm but you can still do alright. I will be there after Christmas but with non fly fishing friends. (we plan on trolling for wahoo, a sport I'm just learning.) I may get to bonefish once or twice after they leave. What exact dates will you be there?

You didn't say where you are staying but to a certain extent it doesn't matter. I'll presume that you are in the Port Lucaya area. If so there is a beach that extends from Our Lucaya to the east for a couple of miles. Although there may be fish on it, generally ther are so many beach walkers that it is hard to cast. Other than that, you will probably have to travel.

The majority of the guided fishing if not out east is on the north side of the island and is not accessible except by boat. You can rent a car and try your luck on any of the beaches going east past the Grand Lucayan waterway. Any of them could hold fish and be worth a visit on a rising tide. You also could spend a long time without a decent shot at a fish, however. IF you go about 30 minutes east, ther is a turn to the south past Gold Rock Beach which leads to the entrance to Gold Rock Creek. The beach is a national park, so no fishing. I don't know about the creek outlet however. There is a beach there as well as an old pier. Ask Phil to show you where it is as you go past. He also will tell you of other areas to try.

Another alternative would be to get picked up for the snorkling at Paradise Cove. They will transport you to a baech, but you can just wander down the beach, (try going west), and when you get well away from the crowds may be able to find fish. The snorkling is quite good there, but water temps are probably in the mid to low 70s and it is a bit cold for some.

It is plainly rather difficult for DIY. I often use a guide Sam Taylor who fishes mostly out of Hawksbill creek which is on the north side much closer to Freeport. His charges are probably pretty close to Phil's but he would be available for half day excursions which would cost less. I think Phil may have the same deal, but you still have the two hour car ride each way. You can find him at http://the-bahamas-fishing.com/samtaylor/

You also can try your luck fishing in the entrances to the canals. You may catch jacks or snapper and it is always worthwhile trying for 'cudas. In any of these do it yourself locations, chumming helps. If nothing more buy a couple cans of sardines, it may attract something and is a low cost investment.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:51 AM

Thumbs up

That's great info Jeff. Thx. I'll be staying @ Our Lucaya w/ my wife and baby from 12/27-1/3. I have 2 solo trips planned w/ Phil and Mel. I would be happy to split them or split a trip w/ Sam if you'd like to fish together.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:43 PM
MDBones

Othe GBI DIY options

Loopy,

Sounds like you are in GB enough to try a couple of these do it yourself spots in GB. All are great if you only have four hours or so to fish on the arrival or departure days.

1. Airport Flat - Its muddy (count on sinking anywhere from 1 to three inches until you make it out to the mangroves) but the 1 1/2 hours before and after dead low will give you shots at a number of cruising bones. Take a right our out the airport instead of a left (which normally would take you to Freeport) take this road until you see the Queens cove neighbor hood - follow the road to the right and take it until the road makes a sharpe curve to the left. Look straight ahead and you will see a fenced in area - park your car and walk North until you see the flat to your right (east). Do not fishing this area on a high tide too much water to spot fish -

2. Gold Rock Beach - You mention this in your post as off limits - I have fished there a number of times with permission from the Ranger - I think that they are more concerned with fishing in the back water portion of the park - i.e. the foot bridges throught the creek. Just ask the ranger and put your stick together once you are on the beach.

3. Pelican Point - right past town you will see a public parking area next to some unfinished buildings - walk this flat to either the east or west on an incoming - the fish are easy to spot and during the winter it is usually a lot calmer than the North side. I walked 3 hours in one direction three weeks ago and never ran out of flats. I also like to use one of the local guides named Bill of Smoking Reel Bonefishing in Pelican point to guide on foot. He charges 120 bucks for a half day on foot.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:48 PM

How did it go with Phil & Mel Bone Guide???

How id your trip go? I am planning a trip in March.
thanks Mike G
Old 01-21-2004, 10:22 PM

Mike,

I fished with Phil or rather one of Phil's guides and took a novice. We each caught several fish although he used a spinning rod and shrimp (provided by the guide). We chose our day and it ended up being sunny in the morning but clouded up late in the day. We started on a grassy beach with schools of tailing fish and ended up on a shallow flat with scattered single and doubles of tailing fish.

All the fish caught were in the 4 to 6 lb range. I saw one fish I'm guessing at 10 to 12. Big shoulders. It sort of appeared on a flat past Sweeting's cay, paid no attention to my hurried cast and was not findable after that.

My friend is practising his casting because he is major hooked now and ready to go back. It is helpful to choose a day that is not too windy and at least scheduled to be sunny. A little wind doesn't hurt and actually helps because the fish aren't quite as spooky.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:08 PM

I fished 2 days w/ P&M and did OK. 1st day got 6, w/ most fish in the 2-3 lb. range. Got 1 5-6 lb.. 2nd day caught 10 w/ 7 of them around 1 lb. and three 2-4 lbs.. Small fish in large schools on the hard sand flats and all larger fish in the soft bottom backwater turtle grass flats. Fly selection was tan and pink/flash Gotcha's and puffs. On the third day I fished the north side w/ Sam Taylor and didn't see as many fish, but had great shots at large singles and small schools of larger fish. Hooked 4 large fish and landed one 8 lber (my largest bone)...broke 1 off in the margroves, one to a bad tippet connection and one just pulled the fly out. I blew a number of shots at larger fish (10-12 lb.) also, as the fish were not very selective but extremely spooky.
Had most fun on the last day

On a disappointing side note watched local fisherman at Sam Taylors dock (Hawksbill Creek) leave a 250 lb. Loggerhead sea turtle they caught the night before upside down alive on the dock all day long. Why they let that poor animal suffer so long I don't know, but I was tempted to return it to the water when I came back in. It left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Last edited by MarkZ; 01-22-2004 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 01-22-2004, 01:19 PM

thanks for the feedback guys. I am set up with Sam one day and Phil one day-Mike
Old 02-09-2004, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesopals
thanks for the feedback guys. I am set up with Sam one day and Phil one day-Mike
So how did you do Mike?